In common with many increasingly popular cities the range of cuisine on offer reflects both the diversity of the community and the type of people who visit. Tourists now expect international cuisine everywhere they go and San Antonio certainly doesn’t disappoint. Clearly there is demand for steak and Mexican food from locals while there are inevitably restaurants serving everything from Italian to Chinese. Some diners rate location above style of cuisine so it is also worth considering options in the center of the city, ‘’Downtown.’’
The history of Texas and Mexico is intertwined and although Texas has been part of the USA for many years now the influence and proximity of Mexico means that there is significant demand for Mexican cuisine from locals and visitors alike.
- La Fonda on Main
- Paloma Blanca
- Rosario’s Mexican Café Y Cantina
Texas has a reputation for liking things big and that definitely applies to its steaks. Steak has been part of Texas life since it first became a territory and its popularity has never waned.
- Tower of the Americas
- Kirby’s Prime Steakhouse
- Palm Restaurant
- Morton’s, The Steakhouse
There are other things that Americans love other than Mexican and steak. Cuisine is varied and these places have menus that offer enough variety that the whole family will be happy.
- Las Canarias
- Max’s Wine Dive
- Dick’s Last Resort
Every US state with a coastline has restaurants that specialize in serving seafood. In the case of San Antonio that is reflected in several restaurants including:
- Silo Elevated Cuisine & Bar
- 18 Oaks
- Landry’s Seafood House on The Riverwalk
Asian cuisine has spread across the world and amongst some seriously popular alternatives, the number 1 is still probably Chinese. Several US cities have famous ‘’Chinatowns’’ but all have good restaurants.
- Sun Sun Chinese Restaurant
- Pho & Grill
- Van’s Chinese Seafood Restaurant
- Regents Hunan Restaurant
Many Italians left Europe for a new life in North America and they have kept alive their cuisine. Generations have handed down their superb dishes and the rest of the population has embraced them.
- Tre Trattoria Alamo Heights
- Aldo’s Ristorante Italiano
- Restaurant Insignia
Visitors who enjoy Downtown San Antonio have plenty of choice for restaurants with different cuisine across the spectrum. Some specialize in steak, others seafood. Many restaurants have a mix of main courses to cover most tastes and here are a few to think about if you want somewhere fairly close to your hotel accommodation downtown.
- Biga on the Banks
- Restaurant Gwendolyn offers an excellent range of American, modern European and Vegetarian
- Bohanan’s Prime Steaks & Seafood
- Bliss is not cheap but has an excellent wine list and great service.
- Fig Tree Restaurant
- Silo Elevated Cuisine & Bar, again steak and seafood.
- Bella on the River offers an excellent selection of European and especially Mediterranean cuisine with a comprehensive wine list.
- Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Il Sogno Osteria is a centrally located Italian restaurant.
- Wildfish Seafood Grille