Europe is a real mixture of languages and culture. It offers warm summers on the Mediterranean and great skiing destinations in the Alps in winter. Athens and Rome provide reminders of great Empires of the past while London and Paris both deserve significant time to view their many attractions. When it comes to resorts some tend to revolve around activities and one such activity that appeals to many is golf. The British links courses are world famous and many tour the top Open courses, money no object.
Monaco attracts the very wealthy in their yachts with the Casino filled every day and the weekend of the Grand Prix without a spare bed anywhere.
There are some significant resorts offering fine accommodation as well as great golf and the name Donald Trump appears in two such places, one an Open Championship venue, Turnberry and the other without that status but certainly presenting as difficult a challenge:
- Trump International Golf Links & Hotel, Doonbeg, County Clare, Ireland is a relatively new links course every bit as good as the courses elsewhere in Great Britain and Ireland.
- Trump Turnberry, Ayrshire Scotland is a regular host of the Open Championship.
- Adare Manor Hotel & Golf Resort, Limerick, Ireland
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, St. Andrews, Scotland caters for those wanting to visit the home of golf.
If you have nothing else in mind than luxury, being looked after in a great environment then the more southerly the destination in Europe the nicer the weather will tend to be. That immediately suggests you look to places like Greece and Italy:
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa, Crete, Greece
- Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resort
- Arion Resort & Spa, Vouliagmeni, Greece
- Villa d’Este, Cernobbio, Lake Como, Italy
- Hotel Excelsior, Venice, Italy
Skiing was once a ‘’rich man’s sport’’ but no more. The huge increase in flights has increased the numbers who find the Alps easily accessible. There are however exclusive resorts that are fairly exclusive and never cheap. Others recognize that the mass market is a good target and price things accordingly. Here are a few resorts in the Alps to consider for a vacation.
- Val D’Isire’s reputation has grown over the years. It is the home of the famous French skier, Jean-Claude Killy who won 3 Olympic Golds in 1968.
- Courchevel, another French classic, is within Trois Vallee.
- Davos Klosters in Switzerland has more than 200 miles of slopes for all standard of skier.
- Zermatt and the Matterhorn is a stunning setting
- Chamonix and Mont Blanc likewise.
While resorts as such really don’t exist with major cities it would be wrong to ignore cities as a major attraction for tourists. Rome, Paris and London have already rated a mention but it would be wrong to talk about vacations without mentioning other fascinating cities that demand consideration. Barcelona near the Costa Blanca in Northern Spain, Berlin in Germany and to the east, Istanbul in Turkey, the only city that sits in two continents, Europe and Asia attract huge numbers of visitors.